Rent vs Buy Calculator
This calculator helps explore the potential benefit of either renting or buying a property over time and decide whether it's better to buy or rent a home based on inputs you enter and assumptions.
Following assumption to be taken into consideration while using our calculator:
- All results are shown in future dollars and not adjusted for inflation. If you need to consider any inflationary effects, you can reduce the savings & investment return and the home appreciation.
- In the renting scenario, it is assumed that a year consists of 26 fortnights or 52 weeks which is counted as 364 days rather than 365 or 366 days.
- In the home loan scenario, it is assumed that the repayments include both principal and interest. The repayments and interest are calculated by compounding monthly.
- Savings / investment return, Rent increase, Ongoing cost increase, Home appreciation are calculated yearly, hence they are compounding yearly.
- This calculator does not take into account the tax implications of buying and renting a property and return on any savings or investment.